Friday, September 5, 2008

26 Week Check Up

I just had my 26 week check up and I'm doing so well the doctors told me that they don't see a need to see me every other week as is typical in the third trimester, which I'm quickly approaching. This is good news, since I don't need to traipse over to the hospital every other week so they can take my blood pressure and weigh me.

So far, I've gained 16 pounds, which is spot on for 26 weeks. It's funny because normally if I had gained 3 pounds, I would have freaked out. But I feel like I look pretty good for carrying 16 extra pounds. I certainly don't feel that much heavier, but I've noticed that Scott rarely picks me up these days. I think he's worried about his back : )

I'm also measuring 26 cm, which is also absolutely perfect. For those of you who don't know, they measure from your pubic bone to your fundus (top of the uterus) to make sure the baby is growing at a good rate. It's averages out to one cm per week.

Finally, the doctor recommended that I start taking tums with my meals - not because I have heartburn, but because I need to make sure I'm getting enough calcium.

I took my glucose tolerance test today and also had some blood drawn for iron testing. I'm not worried about the glucose test, but the doctor said that if I'm ever going to be anemic, now is the time. Apparently, my blood volume has increased about 50% and you bone marrow can't make enough red blood cell to keep up with the blood volume. It balances out toward the end, but the beginning of the 3rd trimester is when people start becoming anemic.

So, all in all, I'm very health and doing well. I leave on Tuesday for my trip to DC, where I will work a little, play a little, and have my first baby shower hosted by Aunt Jan!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Of course you're growing a perfect baby! I'm so glad to hear that things are going just as they should. Can't believe that you're under the 100 day mark... that is really exciting and makes it feel so close. Wish I could be there to share in all of this with you. Know that I think of you everyday and send lots of love to you, Scott, and la bambina.

Kirsten said...

So happy to hear that things are going well - can't wait to see you soon!