Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bottoms Up!

Yesterday I had my 35 week OB appointment. Everything was going well until the doctor checked the baby's location. Feeling the lump that has been bumping into my ribs, he said, "I think that's the head." Naively, I told him it absolutely wasn't - that was the bottom. I know because I feel her hiccup below my belly button. After some more feeling around and a quick ultrasound, it was confirmed: Ade-Lily is breech.

At 35 weeks, she has about a 5% chance of turning head down on her own. So, around 37 weeks, we are going to try an external cephalic version (ECV). That's when the doctor tries to turn the baby manually from the outside. It has to be done at 37 weeks so that the baby is full term in case the baby doesn't respond well to the proceedure and decides it wants to be born right then. There's a very low chance of that happening, but it's better to be safe than sorry. ECV has a 50/50 success rate, which is somewhat lower for first time moms since our uteruses haven't been stretched out yet. So I'll probably have that done just before Thanksgiving.

If the ECV works and the baby stays put, then I'm on track again for a regular delivery. If she refuses to turn, we'll be scheduling a C-section the week of 7 December.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Good luck! I hope that she turns around for you. Though, if she's heads-up, what have you been actually feeling near your belly button?? :)

Rebecca said...

Oy! Sarah... I'm sorry for this news. I hope it works out the way you want it to. Either way, we all can't wait to welcome Ade-Lily into the family.