Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pass the Ganja

In an effort to try to turn the baby into proper head-down position, I decided to try an herbal Chinese remedy. No, it's not actually marijuana - it's moxibustion. Moxibustion is a process where an acupunturist lights a cigar made of mugwort (it looks like a cross between a cigar and a Chinese firecracker) and hold it as close to the pinky toe as you can stand it without actually burning your skin. I think the combination of the scent (which really does smell like weed) and the heat applied to a pressure point linked to the uterus is supposed to help the baby move. We're supposed to do this once a day for 20 minutes for 5 days (coincidentally, until I go in for the ECV).

So besides feeling bit ridiculous for holding burning plant materials to my toes, the amusing part happens on the way home. The acupuncturist put out the cigar before I left so I could bring it home and do the treatment myself. About a minute down the road, the stick starts burning again. It's filling the cabin of my car with thick, pot-like smoke. I'm thinking, great, I'm totally going to get pulled over and how would I explain this to a cop? So, I put down the windown thinking to at least air the car out while looking for something in the car I can use to smother the now burning cigar. The open windows just make the cigar burn faster. Finally, I remembered that the car actually had an ash tray, I managed to get the cigar to stop burning. But by now I reek of pot-like smoke.

I was on my way to visit a friend who only had her baby 4 days ago. I walk in and she and her husband hugged me and said, "I didn't know you smoked."

Guess I won't be using this stick indoors in Fruita this week. The owners will come back and think we've been smoking up all weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Sarah

No comments: